Sunday 27 June 2010

One Potato,Two Potato...

Finished work on Friday and have been counting big sleeps until we start travelling. Bleugh - a 22 hour journey!! Leaving here at 10am and arriving in Sri Lanka the next day at 8am. In the meantime, there's been lots of packing, re-packing and making organised piles which has made our cats suspicious. I always thought cat's don't have emotions but after a successful root around in the garage I stepped back into the house with two very dirty cat boxes to be met by a look of horror from one cat and disgust from the other. ~Twang~ that'll be a pang of guilt for two. Matthew jumped ship and left for his Dads to avoid the accusatory jury for the rest of the weekend.  

It's a funny feeling leaving home for a month, particularly if you are the owner of an over active imagination like mine. I heard a scurry on the roof this morning and thought - mice! Nothing proportionate like, ah a little field mouse having lost its way from the bounty of the summer fields. No, No... I was more thinking of said little field mouse scribbling tiny invitations to a summer party at my place. With the note ending 'Bring all your friends'... And what with no cats in the house to act as door bouncers to keep order, I imagined by the time I come home that my house will be overrun by the mouse mafia of Aberdeenshire claiming squatters rights and expecting compensation when they are forced to leave.
Actually, its just occurred to me - perhaps my disgruntled cats have given the mouse an invite as insurance. Damn my imagination!!

Mice aside, it's been a fraught weekend for more than one reason (some real, other imaginary) amongst which is me waving my eldest son off on his own adventure. He's going trekking in India. As proud as I feel to know he has more confidence than his father and I combined, there is a part of me who sees him as a 10 year old. And however crazy that is, it leaves me with a feeling of being fearful. I'm not altogether sure if I'm fearful for him or for myself. He's a very capable chap, reliable, affable and awash with common sense - so I know he'll be absolutely fine. What I suspect I'm reacting to, is a little part of my consciousness that knows he's leaving a boy but will come home a man - independent and separate. It seems my eldest son and I have reached another milestone.

This makes me doubly glad to have Matthew with me on our own big adventure. And Matthew before even leaving home, Matthew has started to come into his own. He's turned out to be a ruthless suitcase packer. Having agreed a few weeks ago that we'd only pack a weeks worth of clothes, I tried to sneak some extra tops! He was having none of my pleas and wouldn't listen to perfectly good justification that women need extra things. He even caught me rolling up two tops together to try to pass them off as one! I childishly ended up calling him 'the suitcase police' and flounced out the room in frustration.

Little does he know that I've taken advantage of the fact he's at his Dad's for the weekend and snook in two extra tops! Here's hoping he won't read this until after we've left, otherwise I may be forced to wear several extra layers on the flights.

No comments:

Post a Comment