Wednesday 30 June 2010

Houston we have Contact!

Arrived safe and sound after a long journey. Tired and tearful and very much in need of sleep. Who knew that a lack of sleep and heat could have the same effect as wearing 'everything here is rubbish' glasses! Given half the chance I'd have jumped on the nearest plane back home, even the prospect of another 11 hour flight would've put me off! But thankfully I received something much better than an immediate return flight - and that was a reassuring text from Abi McFabbie who let me know that the culture shock syndrome was normal, that we shouldn't panic and that it would pass and so it did.

A good bowl of homemade veggie soup and a good night's sleep and the world... well at least this little part of the world looked much much brighter! Purdy from Unique Travel gave us an induction/ welcome day and handed us the mecca of all things travel - a converter plug (the ones we brought didn't fit) So now not only are our spirits restored by so are our phone/ laptop & Ipod batteries - We're beginning to feel connected in more ways that one.

Best thing about today was a 'hello' visit to the school. We were touched by the welcome we received, two of the children greeted us with a traditional welcome and this was followed by a guided tour. Every class we were shown was fully of bright eyes, twinkling with much curiosity at what turns out to be their first glimpse at UK volunteers. Their curiosity and the enthusiasm of the teaching staff was infectious and our nerves disappeared and language differences didn't seem to matter that much. Children are children the world over, friendly, shy and cheeky the school has them all and I'm so exited about getting started.

Currently we're sitting in down town Negombo having decided to take shelter from the heat. Travelling for the first time here in a Tuk Tuk - quite the best way to experience the hustle and bustle.

The only other significant first impression I've yet to mention is the heat. I have never been as 'moist' as I've been the last two days. In fact it seems pointless getting dried after a shower! Matthew has started calling me the Wicked Witch of the West because I keep saying 'I'm melting'... He's just lucky that he and the heat have made friends quickly. I'm sure it won't take me too long to catch up.

Off to have a wander around the shops to have a root around for essentials.

No comments:

Post a Comment