Sunday 18 July 2010

ONE LUMP OR TWO?

Tea is an integral part of meal times but I’m surprised at how sweet the folks I’ve met take their tea. The teachers make a ritual cup of tea after breakfast every day and find it very odd that I drink mine ‘bitter’ that is – without sugar. I’ve always thought that 2 spoons was a lot and 3 was excessive, but now I’m beginning to think that 2 or 3 is restrained! After a hot, sticky tour around fully functioning 107 year old machinery at a tea factory, we were rewarded with a complimentary cup of their finest. It was strong and flavoursome... a real good brew, served exactly the way I like it - in a beautiful bone china cup. Perfect I thought, but as I sank back into my wicker chair to relax and enjoy the full experience I glanced at our driver Paul. I watched him as he ladled four heaped spoons of sugar into the tiniest cup – take a trial sip and then add another! 

Sipping my tea I can’t help reflecting on the tea making process, I can’t get over how simple and organic the process is. No artificial chemicals used or over processed methods employed just honest hard work and time. Without seeing it, I’m not sure I’d have appreciated just how natural tea is as a product. Anyone for cake?

No comments:

Post a Comment